I have moved to www.trafotoz.com

August 04, 2017

Dear Blogging Community...

Dear Bloggers,

You probably saw on Twitter that the Bloggers Blog Awards announced their shortlist and despite being one for three years myself, I had only heard of this within the past week so never understood what this was all about - apologies.



So I jumped onto my computer and had a look at it all, including who was listed. I then voted in each category and soon it dawned on me - 'I'm rubbish. Look at all these amazing blogs. Look how good their photography is. And that layout?! - wow! No wonder I don't get brand deals'.

You see, as a blogger I don't really fit into a category. I love reviewing products and talking about the most random, interesting topics I come across. I also have a passion for photography but never upload in fear of being judged. So for me its hard to fit in and get noticed - and no, I don't blame anyone for this.


Whilst there are amazing people being recognised, I also noticed the lack of diversity. I saw Gracie talking about it and thought 'Surely its down to content, right?' I was wrong.


I follow so many great blogs written by both males and POC's and they deserve it just as much as the next hard-working blogger - but of course we can't all win which is fair enough. But I have noticed it time and time again when my social media sites are filled with Bloggers being re-grammed and RT'd by companies that are all women who are slim, tall, middle-class and showing off their perfectly manicured nails. Yes I might not be seeing as much due to who I follow but that's no excuse or reason for seeing a blogging community that I feel is white-washed.

Now, whilst I respect all bloggers and don't have an issue with how they look, what they do or how they dress, it made me (as a blogger) feel as if I didn't belong, like I wasn't good enough. All Bloggers go through that feeling, right?

I myself am not a WOC, but I hate the fact that they're not being represented because I know so many people who would love to be shortlisted or even nomminated for such an award but aren't.

I want people in this community to be able to speak their minds without brands or other bloggers shutting them down because they're not 'your average blogger'.

I want this community to realise we don't all fit that description and never will.

I want this community to be diverse without fear of being judged.

What Can We Do As A Community To Spread Diversity?

  • Keep being you and write for you...and you only.
  • Have no fear of being judged 
  • Unfollow brands who don't want diversity or show any
  • Support one another by leaving a comment or sharing their post - they work hard and so do you. People tend to skip commenting nowadays.
  • Don't single out another blogger because you think you're better than them.
  • Talk about how you feel in the blogging community - we're here for you.
Love,

Sophie x
(Trafotoz)
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I have found that there is a very distinct 'image' of the successful blogger for many brands - as you said, tall, slender, white... picture perfect Instagram pictures with marble background flat lays. Even as an 'alternative' blogger its hard sometimes to get brands to look past that image and realize I am still a good blogger, so I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for WOC!
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Totally agree. Shame people can't get past that image as you quite rightly said. Hopefully now that the community realises this, we can all do something about it & brands won't just go to those people!

      Delete
  2. I've always enjoyed reading blogs that have a good voice and actually don't hurt my eyes with numerous grammar mistakes- your blog fits this bill. You have a great voice, view, and your page layout is aesthetically pleasing. Don't worry about the others, I don't have any doubt you will find success with your blogging. Keep at it girl! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley - that means a lot! Love blogging and discovering new blogs. So many people are amazing at blogging who don't fit that stereotype and I wish they were recognised. I just hope the small bloggers out there don't give up hope!

      Delete
  3. Love this. You do you, and those who really like you will follow ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great observation. I was actually part of a conversation about this earlier today. Thank you for furthering the message. I'm fortunate enough to know a couple great bloggers who are WOC and I follow a couple of men's blogs, but I completely agree that they are underrepresented. Keep spreading the word!

    ~Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that - agreed. So many great bloggers who need to get noticed more

      Delete
  5. I love this! It is so important to have diversity everywhere- including the blogging community. I love reading people's blogs for that reason. Different perspectives, and backgrounds, and cultures. Blogging is one of those things that really gives you an oppurtunity to understand another person. I love that you wrote this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia -agreed. I also love reading different posts and diversity has been such an important topic for a long time - really glad you liked it x

      Delete
  6. I also love photography but never upload pics of fear being judged :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sophie I'm Jalena, for some reason I agree that diversity is important. And you have written a nice blog about this topic and context. My google account didn't work ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no problem!! Thank you for leaving a comment, Jalena. Diversity is so important and I wish I had written about it sooner. Thank you so much x

      Delete
  8. I'm the same Hanna! I'm going to start uploading soon and so should you x don't worry about what everybody else thinks as long as your happy that's all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright © 2014 - 2017 Trafotoz, unless otherwise noted. Template: pipdig